We were introduced to the art of doing field work in order to understand what people truly want, need and desire. Learned the fundamentals about how to gather data, what research methods there are and how we conduct interviews in the real world. Also, we practiced Nudging.
We also reviewed work processes and quality standards within UX Design and parts of UX research, such as user testing, data gathering and analytics as well as performing quantitative and qualitative field studies.
We were presented with the challenge: How might we help product teams when they are trying to understand their users?
We were to choose from three different target groups, Product Manager, Researched and Product/UX Designer.
I choose UX Designers as the target group within this research.
I used the Double Diamon Framework from Design Council (https://www.designcouncil.org.uk/news-opinion/what-framework-innovation-design-councils-evolved-double-diamond).
1 – Mapping out the UX Designers needs, I simulated a workshop where the needs (coming from my earlier experiences) was mapped out and where I selected 3/5, top important- and unknown, needs for a UX Designer to be used for the hypothesis.
2 – An experiment guide was used to create hypothesis out of the top 3 needs. The guide helped me to develop both the quantitative questions as well as the qualitative questions
3 – The survey was set up in Google Forms. I decided from the beginning that I wanted something I find important in research, a large enough sample of the dataset. My preconceptions about UX Designers are that they are creative and that the like memes. So I created a survey that would give the user a “fun” and “relaxed” feeling when filled in. Since we also couldn’t reward the ones participating with gift cards or such, I brainstormed and came up with that a book tip was something I think most appreciate, but mostly, it triggers peoples curiousness!
I joined different Slack, Facebook and LinkedIn groups for UX designers and posted in them. I connected over LinkedIn with random UX Designers and asked them to fill it in. All of these acts worked to get me 110 answers on the survey and 9 people that was up for interviews!
Along with the answers coming in and me having the interviews I’ve learned that the survey, if redoing it, would benefit from being more clear on the exact type of UX Designers I was looking for as well as rewriting some of the questions for getting even more insights from it. Though a great learning opportunity and I’ve also recieved good and constructive feedback from people answering the survey and wanting to help out.
4 – For the last part the data from the quantitative survey data and qualitative data from the interviews was synthetized where the insights, principles and the next steps are defined.